• By Dr. John Fudens

    Dogs are susceptible to a condition known as chocolate toxicosis. They can be poisoned and possibly die by eating chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance deadly to dogs. The effect of theobromine on the nervous system depends of the amount/type of chocolate and the size of the dog. Unsweetened baking chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate. Two ounces of baking chocolate and eight ounces of milk chocolate are harmful to a 20-40 pound dog. Continue reading »

  • By Dr. John Fudens

    House plants and flowers may be nice to look at and beautify our homes, but they can be harmful to our pets. Most pets enjoy chewing on greenery, but they can be poisoned if they choose the wrong plant. Continue reading »

  • By Dr. John Fudens

    Coprophagia or eating stools, unpleasant as it may seem, is not all that rare or always an abnormal dog behavior. The mother with new puppies or kittens eats their waste in order to keep the litter clean. Stray dogs, famished, eat stools probably for the slight food value. Continue reading »

  • By Dr. John Fudens

    Antifreeze, ethylene glycol, is willingly consumed by most dogs and cats. It is sweet, readily available and more enticing than water. If your pet licks or consumes any amount of antifreeze you must rush it to the veterinarian immediately for first aid treatment. The chemical can cause death within hours. Ethylene glycol destroys the kidneys, causing renal failure (shutting down of kidney function) which causes a buildup of waste products and leads to death from uremic poisoning. Ethylene glycol causes crystals in the kidneys leading to damaged tissue which causes the kidneys to fail. Continue reading »