• By Dr. John Fudens

    Dogs are susceptible to a condition known as chocolate toxicosis. They can be poisoned and possibly die by eating chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance deadly to dogs. The effect of theobromine on the nervous system depends of the amount/type of chocolate and the size of the dog. Unsweetened baking chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate. Two ounces of baking chocolate and eight ounces of milk chocolate are harmful to a 20-40 pound dog.

    Signs of toxicosis include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of bladder control, labored breathing, muscle tremors, seizures, hyperactivity and ultimately coma and death. Emergency veterinary care is needed to save the dog. Dogs like the taste of chocolate and some owners use it as a treat. For your dogs safety and health do not give it. No amount of chocolate is safe for a dog.

    TO YOUR GOOD HEALTH

    Posted by Dr. John Fudens